In the late 1930's a retiree from England,
one Mrs. Cook, contracted with local builder Matt Griffin to construct
what is now Elaine's Table. The original building consisted of
living rooms for Mrs. Cook, a public dining room and a small kitchen.
The restaurant was known as The Fork Inn. Mrs. Cook catered to
summer residents, hunters and the families of campers attending
the emerging summer camp industry. She operated her business until
selling it in the early 1950's. Though the building has undergone
a number of enhancements and renovations, it has been chiefly
used as a restaurant since its construction.